Before Montana become a state on November 8, 1889, GACC was an active congregation. It all began with a meeting held by M.L. Streator on Sunday, June 26, 1887. Thirty four persons signed a covenant of support. Mr. Streator devoted one year to the establishment of the church. The formal organization of the church took place on Feb. 5, 1889, a few weeks later three lots had been purchased on the corner of Grand and Babcock. The initial brick building became possible from a gift donated by Miss Lou Payne a member of the Missouri Christian Missionary Society, in honor of her father. This building served the congregation until 1928.
As the congregation grew, so did their building needs. Remodeling of the building to it’s present status began with a building fund in 1920. The extensive remodeling effort, including a new education wing, was dedicated on Feb. 22, 1942. Further renovations were made in 1980-81. The parking lot was developed in 1991 where the former parsonage used to stand.
There are several stained glass windows in the sanctuary that have been dedicated in memory of loved ones. A new baptistry was dedicated in March of 2000. With this new change came other changes to the building. A new changing area and shower were installed. A brand new back-lighted wooden cross was hung in the baptistry area. This was a significant remodeling effort taken on by the congregation and its completion is in great part due to the generous support and labor of many in the congregation.